By Chris Mandzufas
Facilitating Successful Change As A Leader
Regardless of whether you are running a small or large business, change is a daily constant as a leader or manager. Between managing evolving customer needs, the performance of your team, operational efficiencies, developing new strategies, profit, growth and much more, there is no shortage of spinning plates to keep in the air.
The challenge we are faced with is that studies have shown that whilst we all appreciate that change is required in our businesses only 30% of change initiatives are actually successful.
As a leader or manager these are the practical things you need to consider in your roles to enhance your ability to drive successful change:
- Reflect on what historical behaviours you need to UNLEARN that are limiting your performance (refer to the book by Barry O’Reily called Unlearn that may help here)
- What NEW skills and innovations do you need to build capability in to drive the business forward?
- Are you acting as a role model to your teams (your team are 5.3 times more likely to be successful implementing change initiatives as a result)
- Involve key employees in any change initiative (ie any employees who are influencers within your business)
- What are your energy levels like to see any change through to the end – are you competitive or do you just give up?
- Do you have a GROWTH or FIXED mindset – there is no doubt a growth mindset will always heighten your success.
- Are you good at coaching your team and keeping your team accountable to actions that have been agreed?