By Chris Mandzufas
A high-performance organisation culture is one of the most important factors driving the ability of businesses to achieve great results but also in being able to navigate difficult times successfully.
HIGH PERFORMANCE – The first element
When looking at any high-performance businesses the key attributes you will find of the teams within those business are:-
- Get results (they find a way to make it work)
- Stand out
- Never happy with the status quo
- Challenge themselves and each other
- Exude confidence
- Positively impact others (their teams and their customers)
- Do not make excuses
When looking at sporting teams and thinking of High Performance, the Netflix series “The Last Dance” provides an example of how the above attributes deliver success if there is an unwavering focus on the same.
CULTURE – The second element
Peter Drucker penned the phrase ‘Culture eats Strategy for Breakfast’ and many argue that those five words challenge the theory that the tangible is more important than the intangible.
When looking at culture some really good questions to ask yourself about whether you have a strong or poor culture include:-
- Are the rules, procedures and desired behaviours clear in your organisation?
- Do your managers or most senior people set the best example?
- Do your employees feel motivated and engaged to follow the rules?
- Do employees feel comfortable to voice their opinion, raise issues and discuss dilemmas?
- Are employees being held accountable by others in the organisation for misconduct?
- Are any undesirable behaviours sanctioned?
BUSINESS BENEFITS OF COMBINING THE TWO
For a business to be commercially competitive and achieve and deliver its vision, it must have a strong culture built around high performance.
A business that can achieve and sustain this generally can outperform its competitors due to:-
- Increased productivity
- Increased customer satisfaction and loyalty
- Increased employee satisfaction
- Improved business agility
- Accelerated implementation of change
- Increased innovative practices
- Greater commitment and accountability across the whole business
If you would like to discuss how you can improve your business’s culture, please contact us today.